The polls have closed—the final eight bands in the Honda Battle of the Bands have been chosen to appear at the 2013 Invitational Showcase.
- Albany State University Marching Rams (Albany, Georgia)
- Alcorn State University Sounds of Dyn-O-Mite (Lorman, Miss.)
- Bethune-Cookman University Marching Wildcats (Daytona Beach, Florida)
- Edward Waters College Triple Threat Marching Band (Jacksonville, Florida)
- Jackson State University Sonic Boom of the South (Jackson, Miss.)
- North Carolina A&T University Blue and Gold Marching Machine (Greensboro, NC)
- Tennessee State University Aristocrat of Bands (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Winston-Salem State University Red Sea of Sound (Winston-Salem, NC)
This is the 11th year of the event, which “was created to celebrate, support and recognize the excellence of Black college marching bands and the unique academic experience offered by Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs).”
In their sixth appearance, Albany State is the most experienced group this year. Alcorn State is a newcomer, appearing for the first time at the event in Atlanta, Georgia.
Showcase bands are chosen in a three level voting process. In Level One, one band is chosen at-large based on an online opinion poll. In Level Two, five bands are chosen—one from each participating athletic conference and one independent group. Three voting groups are weighed equally in Level Three: online opinion poll, band directors, and university presidents. The two latter groups are not allowed to vote for their own schools. In Level Three the organizers choose two bands based on showmanship, musicianship and previous participation.
For more information, visit hondabattleofthebands.com.